Perpetual Motion Machine
This side trip to Hong Kong is supposed to be our mini vacation and time to rest. For me, vacation is synonymous with happy hour and people watching. Paris was my fantasy. A whole culture built around drinks before 5pm and mindless hours of sidewalk staring.
Hong Kong is my foil. After hours of looking I don’t think there is an entire place in the entire city to sit down, hang out and grab a drink. I can’t imagine I am asking for to much here. This isn’t some remote outpost on the edge of humanity. And it’s not like I am longing for NASCAR. I just want a glass of wine.
But the problem doesn’t stop here. The deeper issue I have uncovered is that Hong Kong doesn’t have places to sit down & hang out -- period. No café’s, no public benches, not even bus stop with seating.
As we were going up to Victoria’s Peak today I thought I was witnessing the first signs of protest against this ridiculous ban on public seating. Hundreds, no maybe thousands (and I am so not exaggerating) of women (an absolutely no men) were flocking to the vicinity around the HSBC building and camping out on the ground. Upon closer inspection I realized they weren’t protesting the lack of afternoon bars, they were picnicking. They weren’t going to let mandate for perpetual motion dictate their day. They were just going to camp out with their blankets and baskets and food.

I guess one person’s reason to rebel is another’s consent to congregate. Plus, the protests today were being saved for more important issues. Such as the drive to ban the commercial importation of wild birds?!?!

The tagline “ Be Caring not Blaming. Start Loving stop culling” is rather catchy.
Hong Kong is my foil. After hours of looking I don’t think there is an entire place in the entire city to sit down, hang out and grab a drink. I can’t imagine I am asking for to much here. This isn’t some remote outpost on the edge of humanity. And it’s not like I am longing for NASCAR. I just want a glass of wine.
But the problem doesn’t stop here. The deeper issue I have uncovered is that Hong Kong doesn’t have places to sit down & hang out -- period. No café’s, no public benches, not even bus stop with seating.
As we were going up to Victoria’s Peak today I thought I was witnessing the first signs of protest against this ridiculous ban on public seating. Hundreds, no maybe thousands (and I am so not exaggerating) of women (an absolutely no men) were flocking to the vicinity around the HSBC building and camping out on the ground. Upon closer inspection I realized they weren’t protesting the lack of afternoon bars, they were picnicking. They weren’t going to let mandate for perpetual motion dictate their day. They were just going to camp out with their blankets and baskets and food.

I guess one person’s reason to rebel is another’s consent to congregate. Plus, the protests today were being saved for more important issues. Such as the drive to ban the commercial importation of wild birds?!?!

The tagline “ Be Caring not Blaming. Start Loving stop culling” is rather catchy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home